YVES M. LEROY
de Recherche”, Centre National de
Géologie, Ecole Normale Supérieure, France (2004-).
Professor (part time) at the Ecole
Fossiles” to the third year students (2010-).
Faculty, Mechanics Department at
Director of Studies, Département TAO (Earth, Atmosphere and Ocean), Ecole Normale
Deputy director, Département TAO, Ecole Normale Supérieure, (2006-2008).
Clark B. Millikan Visiting Professor of Aeronautics, California Institute of Technology,
Pasadena, California, USA (2003-04).
de Recherche, Centre National de
nique des Solides, UMR 7649, Ecole Polytechnique, France (2001-2003).
Recherche, Centre National de
Adjunct Professor, Aerospace Engineering Department, The
Research Engineer, Shell Research (Koninklijke/Shell Exploratie en Produktie Laborato-
Visiting Professor, the
Visiting Professor, the University of
Habilitation Université de Metz, France, 1994
Engineering, Université de Sherbrooke
D.I.C. Civil Engineering, Imperial
Ing. E.H.E.I. Ecole des Hautes Etudes Industrielles (Lille), France 1981
“Mechanics for the Solid Earth”
• The mechanics of fluid-saturated rocks in accretionary wedges and the stability conditions
by application of limit analysis. Determination of the over-pressures conditions for the
activation of splay-faults.
• Folding in the presence of ramps in fold-and-thrust belts (FTB): link between the geom-
etry of the fold and the rheology of the stratified rocks. Application of limit analysis to
produce mechanically balanced cross sections to complement the now classical geometrical
constructions of folds. Application of limit analysis to the formation and development of
triangular zones at the front of FTB.
• Compaction in sedimentary basins by pressure solution. Development of macro-scale con-
stitutive relations based on a description of the deformation mechanisms (dissolution/preci-
pitation) at the grain scale. Potential genereralization to other stress-enhanced fluid-rock
interactions relevant to geochemistry and to environmental problems.
• 3D fracture development in frictional, cohesive and creeping rocks: application to polyg-
onal faults in carbonates and in the context of salt tectonics.
• Others: Stability and bifurcation of elasto-plastic solids and structures; The internal
structure of thermo-mechanical shear zones; quantitative relations between the fracture
densities and the fold geometry and local stress history; Shear-enhanced compaction of
highly porous reservoir rocks, compaction bands.
Ecole Normale Suprieure, Paris, course on continuum mechanics for solids and fluids
California Institute of Technology, Computational Solid Mechanics, Ae214, 2003-2004.
Ecole Polytechnique (undergraduates): Continuum mechanics, The Solid Earth, Hetero-
geneous solids, (1997-).
and modeling, continuum mechanics, finite-element, pressure solution, folding (2002).
Ecole Centrale and Ecole Polytechnique (graduate program - DEA): Continuum Me-
chanics, Poro-elasticity, Plasticity theory (1995-2002).
Université de Sherbrooke,
courses in statics, dynamics, strength of material and fluid mechanics (1982-1998).
• Majella anticline,
• Neuquen basin,
• Fractured anticlines in the Tata-Akka region (Anti-Atlas, South Morocco, 1996 and 1998):
field example to illustrate how inherited fractures are activated during folding.
folds in the region of Goulmima (High Atlas front,
deformation markers in material having passed a fixed hinge.
of the distribution of granulite and eclogite in a shear zone,
Member of the European Union of Geosciences, of the
Member of the A.S.M.E. Technical Committee on “Instabilities in Solids and Structures”
Consulting for Shell-UK (1996) :
compaction and subsidence in the
Coordinator (with F.K. Lehner) of the course Deformation in the Earth’s continental crust:
theory, experiments and modeling, CISM Udine, Italy, (June 2002).
Graduate students and Post-doctoral staff supervision:
Liu, Doctoral student (2010-), in collaboration with Gucas (
the supervision of Prof. Y.L. Shi.
• A. Pons, Doctoral student (2009-), Fluid effects in the mechanics of accretionary wedges
and in fold-and-thrust belts.
• G. Kampfer, Doctoral student (2007-2010), Fractures and folding in carbonates, sponsored
by Shell IEP (
• P. Souloumiac, Doctoral student (2005-2009) Sismic cycle and orogeny Co-advisor with A.
Modaressi (Ecole Centrale de Paris)
• N. Cubas, Doctoral student (2005-2008) Kinematics and mechanics of folding in fold-and-
thrust belts Co-advisor with B. Maillot (University of Cergy-Pontoise). Price for best pre-
sentation by junior speaker at the AGU2008, Tectonophysics.
• N. Kallel, Doctoral student, (2002-2006) Diffuse fracturing and the folding of sedimentary
layers. Co-advisor with W. Sassi (I.F.P.)
• A. Savitski : post-doc (2001-2002), Intergranular Pressure Solution.
• M. Guiton : post-doc (2001), Fractures in folded reservoirs, for Total-Fina-Elf.
• H. Raimbourg, Doctoral student (2001-2005), Eclogitization in subduction zone: application
• M. Rakotoniriana, Doctoral student, (2001-2005) Intergranular Pressure Solution. Co-
advisor with J. Raphanel (L.M.S.)
• F. Gueydan, Doctoral student (1998-2001), The Ductile to brittle transition in the Earth’s
lower crust. Co-advisor with Prof. L. Jolivet (
• M. Guiton, Doctoral student (1997-2001), Diffuse brittle deformation and the folding of
sedimentary layers . Co-advisor with W. Sassi (I.F.P.)
• J. Ghoussoub, Doctoral student (1996-2000), Solid-Fluid Phase transformation: pressure
solution. Price for best thesis, Ecole des Ponts et Chaussées.
• L. Bodin, Doctoral student (1993-96), Adiabatic shear banding. Co-advisor with Prof. A.
Onck, M.Sc. student at the
puter Sciences Department. Co-advisor with Prof. Wesseling
Massin, Ph.D student at the
ment. Co-advisor with Prof. N. Triantafyllidis
• O. Chapuis, research engineer at Shell Research (1990-91), after his graduation from the
Clark B. Millikan Visiting Professor of Aeronautics,
California Institute of Technology (2003-04)
IACMAG 94 Award for Significant Paper (Finite-Element analysis for strain localization
in frictional materials, with M. Ortiz, Int. J. Num.& Analyt. Methods in Geo., 1989)
Fellowship from the “Minist`ere
des Affaires Etrang`eres”,
Invited Seminars and Lectures:
MécaDymat, 2008 Université Paris XI, 2008
ENS Cachan, 2006 Université Paris VI, 2005
Marseille (LMA, CNRS), 2005 IPGP (Sismologie), 2005
Stanford (Geo. & Env.),
IUTAM, Delft, 1997 école Normale Supérieure, 1997
Université de Montpellier, Géologie, 1997 école Nat. Sup. des Techniques Avancées 1996
Institut Fran¸cais du Pétrole, 1996 University of Grenoble (L3S), 1996